Tutor Essentials Training for Volunteer Tutors
Our 12-hour Tutor Essentials trainings prepare new tutors to instruct adults in English as a Second Language (ESL) or Adult Basic Education (ABE). If you plan to volunteer with one of our member organizations, your training is free of charge. The training is spread over two Saturdays, and it covers all you need to know to get started with your learner. Discover how to create a lesson plan, select the best learning materials, help your student set goals, and much more. After attending both days of the training, you’ll receive a certificate of completion from Literacy Works.
ESL Essentials and ABE Essentials are offered every month of the year except December. See below for upcoming dates and locations. For a copy of the schedule, please click here.
Special Topics Training for Adult Literacy Tutors and Professionals
Special Topics trainings are geared for tutors and literacy professionals who have been working in the field and seek fresh approaches and tools for their practice. Offered 5–6 times annually, these evening sessions cover in-demand subject areas, such as special learning needs and ESL and ABE writing.
Mental Health and the Adult Learner
Mental well-being is an important factor behind students’ success in adult education programs. In this workshop we will learn about mental health issues commonly experienced by adult learners, including anxiety and depression, trauma, and substance use. What do these challenges look like, and how can you help your students if they are experiencing these issues? Discuss challenges and strategies with fellow adult educators. This training is geared toward adult education staff and volunteer tutors who work with ESL, ABE, and high school equivalency (HSE) students. In this interactive training, you’ll learn:
- Signs and symptoms of anxiety and depression, panic attacks, trauma, and substance use
- Safe, culturally-appropriate ways of supporting your students as they manage mental health challenges
- Who to connect to for more guidance and support
- Best practices for privacy, boundaries, self-care, and the roles of staff and tutors
Tuesday, April 23, 2019
6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
641 W. Lake Street, Chicago, IL
REGISTRATION: Please RSVP. Space is limited. Free to Literacy Works members and non-members. To register, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your information: Name / Email address / Phone number / Agency / Job role.
Partner Spotlight for Adult Literacy Tutors and Professionals
Partner Spotlight events offer information about community resources of interest to adult educators and learners.
Each year, we gather volunteer tutors and literacy professionals from all over Chicago at our annual Literacy Forum. Participants share ideas and celebrate their work in a supportive environment.
How to Register for a Training or Forum
- Email email@example.com with the following information: attendee name, email, and phone. If you are a volunteer or staff person with one of our member agencies, please also list the agency name.
- Please register tutors at least two days prior to training. Early registration is recommended as space is limited.
- You will receive an email confirmation within one business day. Email confirmations are necessary to attend the training sessions.
- Training is free to individuals who are signed up to tutor or currently work at a Literacy Works member organization. The fee for unaffiliated individuals is $60 for Essentials Trainings; $20 for most Special Topics and Forums.