Tutor Essentials Training for Volunteer Tutors
Our 12-hour Tutor Essentials trainings prepare new tutors to instruct adults in English as a Second Language (ESL) or Adult Basic Education (ABE). If you plan to volunteer with one of our member organizations, your training is free of charge. The training is spread over two Saturdays, and it covers all you need to know to get started with your learner. Discover how to create a lesson plan, select the best learning materials, help your student set goals, and much more. After attending both days of the training, you’ll receive a certificate of completion from Literacy Works.
ESL Essentials and ABE Essentials are offered every month of the year except December at several Chicagoland locations. For a copy of the schedule and registration information, please click here.
Professional Development Training for Adult Literacy Staff and Continuing Volunteer Tutors
Professional development trainings go beyond our initial tutor training, providing experienced tutors and literacy professionals with innovative approaches and tools to improve their practice. We believe that successful adult literacy programs must consider the overall experience of the learner; therefore our trainings not only highlight ABE and ESL teaching techniques, but also encourage educators to support their students’ adjustment and grow their program’s organizational capacity. We are committed to sharing resources and expertise with anyone who is in a position to support adult learners, whether your role is a paid instructor, program manager, or volunteer.
Our training sessions vary by month and cover themes in three broad areas: Program Operations & Efficiency, Instructional Techniques, and Student Support. For a calendar of upcoming workshop topics and dates, please click here.
How to Register for a Training
- In order to maintain accurate new-tutor records, we ask coordinators to register on behalf of their tutors for Tutor Essentials.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: Name, date, and location of Tutor Essentials training date(s) / Attendee name / Attendee Email / Attendee Phone / Agency.
- Please register tutors for Tutor Essentials by the Wednesday prior to the training. Early registration is recommended for all trainings, as space is limited.
- You and the tutor will both receive an email confirmation once the tutor has been registered. Email confirmations are necessary to attend the training sessions.
- Training is free to individuals who are signed up to tutor or currently work at a Literacy Works member organization. The fee for unaffiliated individuals is $60 for the 12-hour Tutor Essentials Training,
Professional Development Trainings
- Experienced volunteers and staff members may register themselves for Professional Development trainings.
- Email email@example.com with the following information: Name and date of training / Your name / Email / Phone / Agency / Job role (staff or volunteer).
- You will receive an email confirmation once you have been registered. Email confirmations are necessary to attend the training sessions.
- Training is free to individuals who are signed up to tutor or currently work at a Literacy Works member organization. The fee for unaffiliated individuals is $20 for most Professional Development training workshops.