Low-literacy in adults is a pressing, yet under-reported issue.
- Half a million adults in Chicago cannot read or write well enough to meet their personal and professional goals.
- Children whose parents have low literacy are ten times more likely to have low literacy themselves.
- As an adult’s level of prose literacy increases, so do their annual earnings.
If you are a media representative covering adult literacy, Literacy Works’ expert staff can help. Contact us for interviews, information-gathering, and helpful resources. We can share knowledge on:
- Low literacy in adults
- Adult Basic Education
- High School Equivalency programming
- English as a Second Language
- Statistics on low literacy among Chicago adults
- Family literacy
- Workforce development
For media inquiries, please contact:
Recent local coverage of adult literacy featuring Literacy Works includes:
- WGN Radio/After Hours: Talking lit with the women of Literacy Works
- WYCC PBS Chicago/In the Loop: High Cost of Low Literacy