Through expert training and materials development, our Literacy Connect program helps diverse organizations that serve adults with low basic skills. We offer on-site training and create curricula and materials in plain language for social service, health care, and other organizations seeking to effectively communicate with adults who struggle with literacy. Our Employ Lit training specifically helps workforce development professionals tailor instruction and other services to clients’ literacy levels.
Our Literacy Connect Training Services will help your staff:
- Recognize when adults have literacy needs; accommodate these needs in workshops, classes, case management, and more;
- Communicate effectively with adults of all educational levels, including those whose first language is not English;
- Create, select, and adapt materials for adults with low literacy;
- Implement interactive one-on-one or group activities to build confidence and competence among adults at all educational levels;
- Encourage adults to continue their education;
- Develop cultural competence to better serve diverse populations.
Our Literacy Connect Materials Development Services will:
- Revise your materials using plain language;
- Create handbooks, forms, brochures, and instructional materials that are understandable to adults with low literacy as well as higher levels;
- Develop curricula for direct services or staff training.
Literacy Works is Chicago’s premier organization helping diverse groups tailor their services for adults with low literacy skills. Our growing list of clients includes:
- Centers for New Horizons
- Chicago Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
- Chicago Board of Election Commissioners
- Chicago Jobs Council
- Chicago Public Library
- CTA – Chicago Transit Authority
- Heartland Alliance
- Inspiration Corporation
- Jane Addams Resource Corporation (JARC)
- LAF (Legal Assist. Fdn)